'Road network assets' (Vegkapital in Norwegian) is a notion often found in official documents, e.g. in the state budget and the national transport plan. Nevertheless, a good estimate of the value of the road network and what would happen if the funding was to be changed, is still not available.
The main objectives of the Asset management programme are to determine the maintenance lag and reacquisition value of the Norwegian road network, and attempt to suggest the socio-economic consequences of changes in funding, management and maintenance. To succeed in this, it is necessary to use existing data material from several special databases, such as the road data bank (Vegdatabanken) and bridge administration system Brutus.
The main objectives divides the programme into three projects about the Norwegian road network, dealing with (1) maintenance lag; (2) reacquisition value; and (3) socio-economic consequences, as mentioned above. The first two projects (1 and 2) are divided into four sub-projects, to utilise experts in the respective fields:
- Roads - This sub-project deals with road substructure and wearing course, as well as draining and other elements built into the road.
- Bridges - This sub-project deals with issues related to bridges and other major constructions, including the building of foundations using chainage and so on.
- Tunnels - This sub-project deals with issues related to tunnels, including water and frost protection, security installations and management.
- The area alongside the road - This sub-project deals with issues related to the area alongside the road. This includes studying signposts, lightning, green spots, crash barriers and fences.
The sub-projects do not publish separate reports, however, the projects they are sub-ordinated produce a final report.
- Estimated refurbishing value of the national roads
- Estimated unfulfilled maintenance requirement for the national roads
- Macro-economic consequences due to variations in appropriated funds for maintenance of the national roads
- References to literature relevant to the Vegkapital programme
- Variations of the national roads net economic value as a function of time